Daniel Snyder has a general commercial law practice, with a particular focus on matters involving corporations, insolvency & reconstruction, trusts, banking, contract and trade practices law. Daniel read with Stephen Parmenter.
Prior to joining the bar, Daniel was a senior associate at Arnold Bloch Leibler in its Litigation Group. In 2009/10, Daniel was associate to the Honourable Justice Finkelstein. Daniel completed his articles at Mallesons Stephen Jaques and practised in its Dispute Resolution Group.
As a solicitor and barrister, Daniel has worked on trial and appellate cases in most superior courts throughout Australia. Some major recent matters in which Daniel has acted since coming to the bar include:
- a High Court appeal regarding the disclaimer of a lease by a liquidator of a landlord: Willmott Growers Group v Willmott Forests Ltd (recs and mgrs apptd) (in liq) (2013) 304 ALR 80 (led by Philip Crutchfield QC and Robert Craig);
- Supreme Court proceedings concerning alleged unfair preferences and uncommercial transactions: Vresecky v Maxcon Pty Ltd (led by Ian Martindale QC);
- Federal Court proceedings issued by Asahi Holdings (Aust) Pty Ltd regarding the sale of the Independent Liquor business (led by Alan Archibald QC, Philip Crutchfield QC and others);
- Federal Court proceedings issued by the ACCC against Coles Express and other petrol retailers (led by Neil Young QC and Michael Borsky);
- Federal Court representative proceedings issued against Bell Potter (led by I Pike SC, L Nichols and others);
- a Federal Court application concerning approval of the payment of costs under a class action settlement: Modtech Engineering Pty Limited v GPT Management Holdings Limited (No 2) FCA 1163 (led by Philip Crutchfield QC);
- procedural applications on behalf of external administrators of companies: eg in Supreme Court proceedings on behalf of the liquidators of Willmott Forests Ltd (recs and mgrs apptd) (in liq) and Federal Court proceedings on behalf of the administrators of Sargent Security (Aus) Pty Ltd (admins apptd);
- Supreme Court proceedings by a mortgagor seeking to set aside a loan and mortgage pursuant to responsible lending provisions and other defences, and in a subsequent successful application under r 15.08 of the Supreme Court (General Civil Procedure) Rules 2005 (Vic) for approval of a settlement (led by Anthony Rodbard-Bean);
- Supreme Court proceedings concerning alleged misuse of company property and plans (led by Stephen Parmenter).
Daniel obtained Law (Hons I) and Commerce degrees from the University of Melbourne. In 2007, Daniel completed the IPA’s ‘Insolvency Education Program’, finishing fifth in Australia.
Admitted to the Legal Profession:
18 Apr 2007
Signed Victorian Bar Roll:
16 May 2013
LLB (Hons); BComm (Melb)
Senior associate and solicitor, Arnold Bloch Leibler, 2011-12; Associate to the Honourable Justice Finkelstein , 2009-10; Solicitor and articled clerk, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, 2006-09
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation.